Have annoying pimples been popping up around your nose and mouth lately? If your answer is yes, you’re not alone.
With the many of us wearing masks throughout our day, mask-related acne, or “maskne,” has become something many of us have had to deal with. Our team at AFC Urgent Care NC knows how annoying it can be, and we offer some helpful information on it below.
Why Do I Have Maskne?
Constantly breathing into your mask creates a humid environment around your nose and mouth.
Because warm air is trapped in that small space on your face, it promotes an environment such as clogged pores and unwashed dirt for skin-related bacteria to thrive. We’ve listed some ways to treat mask-related acne below.
A Few Reliable Ways to Treat Maskne
- Wash your face in the morning before you leave the house and before bed. This prevents dirt and oil from being trapped on the skin surface, which will cause breakouts.
- Ditch makeup under the mask. Wearing skin makeup under a mask causes clogged pores and breakouts, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Apply a skin moisturizer. Not only will this keep your skin hydrated, but it will also act as a barrier between your face and your mask, which will reduce friction.
Is “Maskne” Different From Regular Acne?
Not really. Maskne is just acne related to wearing your mask. Any time your skin is dirty, your pores are clogged or your skin is irritated, acne can and probably will appear.
If you struggle with acne and all of your home remedies have not worked to help eliminate it from your face, it might be helpful to talk with a doctor to see if there is any medical treatment that could help.
When to See a Doctor About Acne
- If over-the-counter creams and cleansers don’t have any positive effects
- If your acne is starting to take a significant toll on your self-esteem
- If your pimples are sore or are leaving scars
We hope you can get the relief from acne that you need! If you have any more questions on how to deal with acne or are in need of medical care, visit us at one of our AFC Urgent Care NC locations today.